Richmond Times-Dispatch needs a new editor plus an update on "Store owner knew the risks".

From the Richmond Times-Dispatch: Frawley drank cold medicine:

Ousted University of Mary Washington President William J. Frawley told police he had consumed six bottles of cough medicine before he was arrested for driving under the influence, according to a police report.


Police also noted the presence of one bottle of cough medicine. The police report did not indicate whether the cough medicine was prescription or over-the-counter.

Once again, a newspaper writes a statement from someone as a statement of fact. They also fail to say what police report “noted the presence of one bottle of cough medicine”. The criminal complaint does not mention it pdficon_small . It states the officer smelled the “strong odor of alcoholic beverage coming from his [Frawley’s] person and he was unsteady on his feet.”

And as previously noted, even if he was in fact under the influence of cough syrup he would still be guilty of driving under the influence, from Code of Virginia § 18.2-266 [emphasis mine]:

It shall be unlawful for any person to drive or operate any motor vehicle, engine or train […] while such person is under the influence of any narcotic drug or any other self-administered intoxicant or drug of whatsoever nature, or any combination of such drugs, to a degree which impairs his ability to drive or operate any motor vehicle, engine or train safely.

UPDATE: July 24, 2007, 0200 (2:00 AM): The Richmond Times-Dispatch claims that the cough medicine bottle was noted in a separate police report (not the criminal complaint).

Again, from the Richmond Times-Dispatch: Chesterfield shop owner is buried [emphasis mine]:

Chesterfield County shop owner Farooq Anwar was buried yesterday, less than 48 hours after he was fatally shot during an apparent robbery at his store.


Anwar, a native of Pakistan, was killed about 11:30 p.m. Wednesday during an apparent robbery of the Fast & Friendly Convenience Store at 6249 Jefferson Davis Highway, which he had owned or operated since 1990.

He died of a gunshot wound to the head, according to the state medical examiner’s office. He was initially identified by authorities as Anwar Farooq, but yesterday, the medical examiner’s office and police confirmed his name as Farooq Anwar.


Anwar, 52, left behind a wife, Lubna, and two children. Their son and daughter attend the University of Virginia.

Chesterfield police are pursuing the case, but the investigation has yielded few substantial leads, officials said. Investigators have declined to say whether anything was taken from the store, or whether surveillance cameras inside recorded any useful images.

You have some nerve even writing about this man, Mr. Mark Bowes. As I noted about your article, “Store owner knew the risks” this man was trying to provide for his family and help put his children through school and you attempt to blame him for his own death.

From the more respectful people at WTVR 6 in Richmond:

Chesterfield police are investigating the case. They’re asking anyone with information about the murder to call them at [(804)] 748-1251, or Crime Solvers at [(804)] 748-0660.

2 thoughts on “Richmond Times-Dispatch needs a new editor plus an update on "Store owner knew the risks".”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *